Avocados also referred to as the alligator pear is the only fruit to contain a substantial amount of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. As a naturally nutrient dense food, it contains 20 vitamins and minerals which are beneficial to the growth and development of the body. They include folate, Vitamin K1, potassium, copper, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C among others.
Here are some of the benefits of eating avocados.
Great for vision
They are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin which are phytochemicals that are concentrated around the eyes. The nutrients provide anti oxidant protection which helps to minimize damage to the eyes especially from ultra violet light. The monounsaturated fatty acids help with the absorption of fat soluble anti oxidants known as beta-carotene.
Protects the liver from diseases
Liver damage occurs as a result of alcohol and Hepatitis C. Since avocados are super foods, they contain monounsaturated fatty acids which help to lower one’s cholesterol level. The fruit has the ability of producing glutathione, an anti oxidants that is responsible for filtering out harmful substances from the liver as well as protecting it.
Promotes a long life
Avocados have been found to be associated with healthy aging and longevity. It is rich in potent compounds that regenerate the body. One of the compounds is xanthophylls, a power anti oxidant that helps to decrease the signs of aging in your body.
Promotes your baby’s health
As mentioned earlier, it is rich in folate which is good for pregnant women. It helps to reduce the risk of miscarriage and neural tube defects. This ensures the health of the baby is improved during pregnancy thus strengthening the baby’s immunity.
Acts a natural detoxifying agent
Avocados are rich in dietary fiber which is known to promote regular bowel movements. This is crucial for the elimination of toxins via bile and stool. According to experts, dietary fiber has been found to play a crucial role of regulating the immune system and inflammation.
Start enjoying avocados
Try this simple recipe for avocados.
* Serves two people and takes 5 minutes to prepare
- a piece of crusty french bread
- one avocado
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- half of a lemon
- salt – to taste
- pepper – to taste
- optional: red pepper flakes
- optional: egg (scrambled, egg white, poached, etc.) or bacon
- Toast your bread in a toaster or oven until golden and crispy
- Cut your avocado length-wise and remove the pit
- Scoop out the avocado into a bowl with a spoon
- In a bowl, mash the avocado, olive oil, salt, pepper, red-pepper flakes, and half of the lemon
- Cook either an egg or a strip of bacon
- Top the bread with the avocado mixture and finish with either an egg or a strip of bacon. Serve and enjoy
Now you know how to make a basic avocado toast, you can try different combinations. Get fancy and celebrate the wonderful avocado!
Video credit: POPSUGAR Food | Youtube